"Charlie Shoemake was my teacher for three years, from age fourteen to seventeen. When I began lessons I could hardly play. Three years later, not only could I play, but I was working professionally with many groups, including Lionel Hampton, Toshiko Akiyoshi, and even Charlie's own quintet. I owe this mainly to these important lessons (and hard work). Charlie was the ONLY teacher in Los Angeles with a method of teaching jazz improvisation that actually worked. It has been said that it is impossible to teach jazz, but not only did Charlie disprove this theory, but helped hundreds of students of all ages to become better jazz soloists. Later, when Charlie retired from teaching he began a successful concert series in Cambria, California. I have played there many times over the years for this wonderful series. This has become an important venue for some of the greatest musicians all over the world. As performer, teacher and presenter, Charlie Shoemake is one of jazz's most important assets."
Lincoln Center Orchestra, May 2012
"I studied with Charlie Shoemake for several years in my early twenties. In addition to being a renowned jazz artist, I found him to be a most knowledgeable and inspiring teacher. His understanding of jazz music and education is nothing short of remarkable. I credit much of my success as an artist to my studies with Charlie and feel fortunate to have had him as a teacher and mentor. His collection of transcribed solos of the jazz greats is extensive and impeccably accurate. In contrast to many "jazz theory" texts, Charlie's explanation of jazz harmony is straightforward and based on the actual performances of the jazz legends. Anyone who is serious about becoming a jazz artist, or just looking to improve their skills, would be very lucky to study with Charlie Shoemake."
(Trumpeter with the "Tonight Show Orchestra" and formerly with Woody Herman and Poncho Sanchez)
"My studies with Charlie Shoemake (over three years) were truly invaluable. My soloing and knowledge of chord changes (jazz harmony) went up a thousand percent because of his teaching. Charlie is one of our country's leading jazz vibraphone players but unlike many other top jazz players he is able to articulate and communicate his skills to other people. I owe him a lot and so do many other musicians on the west coast."
(Top jazz trombone recording artist)
Welcome to The Bebop Music Store
Charlie Shoemake playing Bebop Music
I have often said that there are as many ways to learn to play jazz as there are jazz musicians… and that’s a lot. Having said that though there IS one way that worked for me and countless others and that is simply to study the works of the musics’ master players. Mozart learned from Bach, Beethoven from Mozart, Parker from Lester Young etc.
I firmly believe that by immersing yourself in the concepts of the greats that your own musical language and voice will emerge.
Here at the Bebop Music Store we try to present the styles of a variety of great players on different instruments and feel that it can definitely set you on the right track for playing this music.
Founder / The Bebop Music Store
Free sample available on request.
(Jimmy Raney) - 1) Motion (You Stepped Out Of A Dream), (Red Norvo) -
2) Blues For Tiny, 3) Somebody Loves Me, 4) Our Love Is Here To Stay, (Jimmy Rowles) - 5) Topsy, 6) Lady Be Good, (Jim Hall) - 7) Stella By Starlight, 8) Things Ain’t What They Used To Be, (as a leader) - 9) Once In Awhile, 10) Ornithology, 11) Jam For Your Bread (Indian Summer), 12) Gone With The Wind, 13) I’ll Never Be The Same
Art Of Bebop Guitar (Pass/Raney/Bean)
(Joe Pass) - 1) Rosetta, 2) I Had The Craziest Dream, 3) Nobody Else But Me, 4) Sometime Ago, 5) Moonglow, 6) Blue Bossa, 7) You Stepped Out Of A Dream, 8) If I Could Be with You, Jimmy Raney Bio, (With Stan Getz) - 1) Thou Swell, 2) Time On My Hands/How Deep Is The Ocean, (With Red Norvo) - 3) Somebody Loves Me, 4) The Best Thing For You, 5) Tiny’s Blues, (As A Leader) 1) Signal, 2) Motion, 3) Stella By Starlight, 4) Indian Summer, Billy Bean Bio, 1) Choice Blues
(WITH THE RED NORVO TRIO) - 1) Swedish Pastry, 2) Move, 3) September Song, 4) This Can’t Be Love, 5) If I Had You, 6) Godchild, 7) Lullaby Of The Leaves, (WITH THE ARTIE SHAW SEXTETTE) - 8) Mysterioso, 9) Imagination, (WITH THE HOWARD McGEE SEXTETTE)
10) Futurity, (AS A LEADER) - 11) Blues In The Closet, 12) With The Wind And Rain In Your Hair, 13)Love Nest, 14) Stompin’ At The Savoy, (BONUS SOLO WITH THE NORVO TRIO) - 15) Tea For Two
WITH SERGE CHALOFF - 1) I’ve Got The World On A String, 2) All The Things You Are, WITH SONNY ROLLINS - 3) Everytime We Say Goodbye, 4) Just In Time, 5) Toot Toot Tootsie, WITH HANK MOBLEY - 6) Falling In Love With Love, 7) The Mobe, 8) Poppin’, 9) Gettin’ Into Something, WITH DEXTER GORDON - 10) You Stepped Out Of A Dream, AS A LEADER - 11) Love Walked In, 12) Bootin’ It, 13) News For Lulu, 14) Can’t We Be Friends, 15) Dancing In The Dark
1) No Line, 2) Wierd Blues, 3) Afternoon In Paris, 4) You Turned The Tables On Me, 5) Get Happy, 6) How About You, 7) Phinupi, 8) Over The Rainbow, 9) Sans Souci, 10) Nickels And Dimes, 11) Commutation, 12) Gone With The Wind, 13) I Never Knew, 14) Old Folks, 15) I Had The Craziest dream
Hank Jones (Coming February '16)
(with Artie Shaw) - 1) Dancing On The Ceiling, 2) S’posin’, (With Sonny Stitt) - 3) If I Should Lose You, 4) There Will Never Be Another You, 5) Melancholy Baby, 6) Autumn Leaves, 7) Bye Bye Blackbird, (with Hank Mobley) - 8) Somebody Loves Me, (with Kenny Dorham) - 9) I’ll Remember April, (with Milt Jackson) - 10) The Lady Is A Tramp, 11) Three Little Words, (with Paul Chambers) - 12) I’m Confessin’, 13) You’d Be So Nice To Come Home To, 14) Chasin’ The Bird, (Bonus) Selected Hank Jones Intros
(With J.J Johnson) - 1) Too Marvelous For Words, (With Art Farmer) - 2) I’ve Never Been In Love Before, (With Sonny Rollins) - 3) Plain Jane, ( With Miles Davis) - 4) Someday My Prince Will Come, 5) Kelly Introduction/I Thought About You, (With Hank Mobley) - 6) A Baptist Beat, 7) My Groove Your Move, 8) The Breakdown, 9) The More I See You, 10) If I Should Lose You, 11) Remember, 12) Three Coins In A Fountain, (As A Leader) - 13) Ill Wind, 14) Dark Eyes, 15) Green Dolphin Street
Bud Powell - Vol 1
1) Long Tall Dexter (two takes), 2) Dexter Rides Again, 3) Dexter Digs In (two takes), 4) Jay Jay (3 takes), 5) Mad Bebop, 6) Jay Bird (3 takes), 7) Blues In Bebop, 8) Good Kick/ Seven Up, 9) Fools Fancy, 10) Bebop In Pastel/Bombay, 11) Rays Idea, 12) Serenade To A Square, 13) Royal Roost, 14) Donna Lee (3 takes), 15) Chasin’ The Bird (3 takes), 16) Cheryl, 17) Buzzy (3 takes)
1) Out Of The Blue, 2) Bluing, 3) Donna (Alternate take), 4) Donna (master take), 5) Dr. Jackle, 6) Minor March, 7) It’s You Or No One, 8) A Foggy Day, 9) Kerplunk, 10) Up, 11) Contour, 12) The Third, 13) Our Love Is Here To Stay, 14) Cool Struttin’, 15) I Love You, 16) I Hear A Rhapsody
1) Can’t We Be Friends, 2) Liza, 3) Bisquit Mix, 4) There Will Never Be Another You, 5) If I Should Lose You, 6) Mean To Me, 7) Cherokee, 8) It All Depends On You, 9) Day By Day, 10) I’ll Remember April, 11) Moonray, 12) My Blue Heaven, 13) I Know That You Know, 14) Just Friends
1) Stella By Starlight, 2) Be My Love, 3) Our Delight, 4) Suddenly It’s Spring, 5) The Stanley Stomper, 6) Alone Together, 7) Once More, 8) Solar, 9) Ornithology, 10) Hot House, 11) Little Benny, 12) Groovin’ High, 13) Pardon me, 14) Incandescent, 15) Just You, Just me
Harold Land - Vol 1
(With Clifford Brown/Max Roach) - 1) Delilah, 2) Parisian Thoroughfare, 3) Jordu, 4) Joy Spring, 5) Daahoud, 6) Stompin’At The Savoy, 7) Swingin’, 8) Take The A Train, 9) Lands End, 10) If I Love Again, 11) Sandu, (With The Curtis Counce Group) - 12) Landslide, 13) Sonar, 14) Mean To Me, (As A Leader)- 15) West Coast Blues
Hank Mobley - Vol 1
(WITH JAZZ MESSENGERS) - 1) Stop Time, 2) Hankerin', 3) To Whom It May Concern, 4) Gone With The Wind, 5) Lady Bird, 6) Nica’s Dream, (WITH J. J. JOHNSON) - 7) Daylie Double, 8) Groovin', 9) Pennies From Heaven, (WITH DONALD BYRD) - 10) Hanks’ Other Tune, (AS A LEADER) - 11) Avila And Tequila, 12) There Will Never Be Another You
1) Elora, 2) Sonnyside, 3) Bud’s Blues, 4) All God’s Children Got Rhythm, 5) Strike Up The Band, 6) Taking A Chance On Love, 7) I Want To Be Happy, 8) Fine And Dandy, 9) Blazin’, 10) Nice Work If You Can Get It, 11) S’Wonderful, 12) I Never Knew, 13) It Could Happen To You, 14) Green Dolphin Street, 15) Ain’t Misbehavin’
1) Charlie’s Wig, 2) Drifting On A Reed, 3) Crazeology, 4) Bongo Beep, With Miles Davis - 5) C.T.A, 6) Walkin, As A Leader - 7) Afternoon In Paris, 8) Elora, 9) Tea Pot, 10) Blue Mode, 11) Get Happy, 12) Too Marvelous For Words, 13) Pennies From Heaven, 14) Bird Song, 15) Barbados, 16) Commutation, 17) Gone With The Wind
1) Hank’s Other Tune, 2) A Foggy Day, 3) There Will Never Be Another You, 4) Nica’s Dream, 5) It’s You Or No One, 6) Alternating Current (Strike Up The Band), 7) B. for B.B., 8) Once More, 9) House Of Chan (Alone Together), 10) Who’s Who, 11) Forty Quarters (You Stepped Out Of A Dream, 12) Over The Rainbow, 13) Why Do I Love You, 14) Junka, 15) Ghana
Kenny Dorham - Vol I
(With Thelonius Monk) - 1) Let’s Cool One, (With Sonny Rollins) - 2) Solid, 3) Moving Out, (With The Jazz Messengers) - 4) Stop Time, 5) Creepin’ In, 6) Hippy, 7) The Preacher, 8) Hankerin', 9) To Whom It May Concern, 10) Sportin’ Crowd, 11) The Theme, 12) Prince Albert
1) I’ll Take Romance, 2) Blue Concept, 3) A Night At Tony’s, 4) I’ve Never Been In Love Before, 5) Forecast, 6) Its You Or No One, 7) The Third, 8) Contour, 9) With Prestige, 10) Forty Quarters (You Stepped Out Of A Dream), 11) Palm Court Alley, 12) Funk In Deep Freeze, 13) Sonny’s Mood, 14) Moon Rays, 15) I Love You
Fats Navarro - vol I
1) Fat Girl, 2) Ice Freezes Red, 3) The Chase, 4) Dameronia, 5) A Bebop Carol, 6) The Tadd Walk, 7) Nostalgia, 8) Index, 9) Dextrose, 10) Lady Be Good……..32, 11) Good Bait, 12) Anthropology, 13) Stealin’ Apples, 14) Lady Bird, 15) Symphonette, 16) The Skunk
(WITH THE MODERN JAZZ QUARTET - 1) La Ronde, 2) All The Things You Are, 3) The Queens Fancy, 4) Delauney’s Dilemma, 5) No Moe, 6) Almost Like Being In Love.13, 7) A Night In Tunisia, (WITH MILES DAVIS) - 8) Changes, 9) Dr. Jackle, (AS A LEADER) - 10) Tahiti, 11) Wonder Why, 12) How High The Moon, 13) The Song Is Ended, 14) The Lady is A Tramp, 15) Too Close For Comfort